Monday, May 23, 2011

COLD AND FLU SEASON - WHEN TO TRAIN AND WHEN TO DITCH?

This blog post is very much inspired by my own personal health and wellbeing over the last month and a half.  After having lazer eye surgery in the end of October, I was unable to exercise for a few weeks.  This was rough to handle, but seeing as I couldn't really see very well anway, I was probably doing the public a favor.
My vision had started to improve by mid-November when I got hit by a nasty cold and a 48-hour gastro the following week.  (What are the chances?)  But my bag and gloves were calling my name.
Let's face it.  Cold and flu season is upon us.  Although I wash my hands like crazy, my kids are highly charged germ magnets.  It's pretty hard to avoid a bug at times, but that shouldn't mean that you have to throw your training out the window.
Here are some conditions during which exercise should be entirely avoided:

1) Fever. You should never exercise if you have a fever.  Exercise naturally increases your body temperature by a degree or two (depending on how hard you are training).  A fever coupled with exercise can actually cause a heat related illness, such as a heat stroke.  Drink plenty of fluids and get some rest instead as your body is working hard to fight something.
2. Vomiting, diarrhea or nausea.  Due to fluid loss with vomiting and diarrhea, you are at risk of severe dehydration if you exercise.  Drink plenty of fluids and Gatorade and get some rest instead.
3. If you have a cough.  Lung capactiy is decreased as a result of a cough. Since exercise demands an increased respiration rate and oxygen consumption, it can make breathing very difficult.  If you have a persistent cough, you should see your doctor. (Even if it is a 3-hour wait.)

Anything else you're wondering about?

Sherry Shaban, BSc, CAT(C), CSCS

No comments:

Post a Comment